Last week, I traveled to one of the most amazing places that I have visited in years–Barbados. If you haven’t been, then I highly recommend that you make plans now. It offers travelers everything they could possibly need–serenity, delicious food, amazing people and lots and lots of fun!
Upon arrival, I knew a little about this British commonwealth, i.e., it is a former colony, which gained its independence in 1966. But, there were definitely a few things that I had no idea about until my visit. Here’s what they are:
- Cou Cou does not mean your crazy. It’s one of of the island’s most popular dishes and its delicious!
- Rum Punch, is by far, the island’s signature drink. You can find it at anywhere. Most locals enjoy it at local rum shops.
- Mini buses are the way to travel and one big party! For only $1.50 (.75 in U.S. dollars), you can see the island, get to know locals and enjoy some good music. You’ll also learn that there is a system from where you sit to how to pass the money.
- “Being Happy” is not just a feeling-it’s a way of life.
- You will swim with sea turtles, and its AMAZING!
- If you are lost, ask a local. They are always willing to help.
- Friday nights, everyone goes to Oistins, the local fish market, for flying fish, blue marlin, cou cou, and great drinks!
- Nutmeg is good on absolutely everything!
- Locals call themselves Bajans and speak Baja (it’s English but at the speed of 5 words a second).
- Barbados was the third British colony in the new world.