“I have to be alone very often. I’d be quite happy if I spent from Saturday night until Monday morning alone in my apartment. That’s how I refuel.” –Audrey Hepburn
When I was 21, 25, 27 and yes even 30, Friday nights were hot! If I was staying at home, I felt like a loser. These days, it’s a different story. Living in a city like Washington DC, there is just so much to do! There is an event every night, a cool exhibit opening, an interesting talk at the National Press Club and let’s not forget work.
DC is ranked as one of the smartest cities in the country and it’s no surprise why. Individuals who move to DC have a purpose. They want to make a difference and many of them will. But, sometimes, you just have to take some time out for yourself. I do. So, how do I refuel:
- Spending time with my dog Nikki. I live in a dog-friendly neighborhood. You will always see people walking their dogs and when it’s warm, they will be out with them everywhere. We tend to enjoy meandering through the neighborhood or sitting on one of the benches in front of the library.
- Watching old Hollywood movies. There is nothing like being taken back into time then through a classic movie. For awhile, I was watching a number of Cary Grant movies.I love old movies.
- Listening to the classical radio station (90.9) and enjoy a freshly brewed cup of espresso and the paper. I love the mornings and there is nothing like listening to Chopin while reading the newspaper.
- Cooking. For me, preparing a delicious meal for myself is relaxing. Pair it with a glass of wine and I am content.
- Enjoying a delicious meal at one of the local neighborhood joints. I live in a great neighborhood full of fantastic restaurants. Sometimes, I just go and enjoy a meal by myself. I tend to take a book with me to keep me company. And, guess what I am not the only one!
I love living in DC. I love the many fun activities that I get to enjoy. I mean how many people get to attend a ballet performance at the Kennedy Center or see Joe and Jill Biden eating an arm length away. Or, be part of historic events. This city is exciting and I have been so lucky living in this amazing city, but sometimes a girl needs some time to refuel.
Do you take time out for yourself? How do you refuel?